Friday, September 14, 2012

Summer scavenger hunt, part two

It's the same day, and here I am working on the next part already. Maybe I WILL finish by the end of September! Here's the first part, if you're interested, including the complete list.

And now for the next batch of photos.

8. a person dressed as an angel or a statue of an angel, and

9. a fountain

These five photos (and a whole lot more...) were all taken at Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna on August 1st. I didn't even remember that I needed a fountain for the scavenger hunt, just couldn't help taking the photos. Nor did I remember the angel or even notice that this first fountain IS an angel, until a friend pointed it out (thanks, Sue!) after I published this blogpost, so have just edited it to add number 8 and am letting this photo count for both. :-)




10. a horse

On our last day in Germany, we went for a walk with Margaret and Phil. Katie especially wanted to see horses, which we did.

 
11. a shadow
 
Maybe it's cheating to include a photo that I already had on my blog, and this isn't the only one, either, but here's one from a walk with Helen and Elisabeth.


12. a maze, a labyrinth, or trail

I have a LOT of photos of trails, especially the Salt Lake Nature Trail, where I've gone walking almost every morning for the last nearly four months, but I controlled myself and didn't include ALL of them. Just this one, because although there aren't even any trees, it reminds me of a poem I love, Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken."
 
And...yet another photo from Schönbrunn. It really is an amazing place!

13. a library

Just before we moved to Cyprus, I saw an announcement that Larnaka would be opening it's first English-language library right about the time we were moving here. That sounded pretty exciting to me, as I haven't lived in an English-speaking country since 1991. My first three years in Germany I read pretty much all of the books of interest to me at the English-language library in Düsseldorf, as well as ALL of the English-language books, interesting or not, at the German branches near the main train station and in Kaiserswerth. In the next 21 months, when we lived in Essen, I read all of the English-language books there, during the next year when we lived near Bonn I read all of the English-language books there, and it only took me a few months in Mülheim to read their very tiny selection of English-language books. Well...we arrived in Cyprus, and stayed for nearly two months in the guest flat of people I had "known" via internet for some years and who have since become very close friends, and decided we could put off going to the library (which was only open for a couple of hours once a week anyway) for a bit, since just in the guest flat, Richard and Sue had enough books to keep us going for a loooong time. (Many, many more books than all of the English-language sections in Düsseldorf, Essen, Bonn, and Mülheim put together, and I like a MUCH larger percentage of them.) And they have even MORE books in their house where they live! We've been here for over three and a half years, and I haven't finished them yet. Added to which, the Saturday morning English-language library has advertised itself as having "hundreds of books", and we brought about 2500 with us in the first place and have acquired at least a few hundred more since, and Sue and Richard have many more than we do...so we still haven't ever made it to that library. On that note, here is a photo of a mutual friend, H, in part of Sue and Richard's "library":
 
As well as a photo of Sue herself, reading to Elisabeth and Helen (and Tessie) on our regular Tuesday morning "not-Tots." (Sue used to help out at the Tots and Co. playgroup on Tuesdays, so when it stopped meeting on Tuesdays and she wasn't available on their other meeting date, a combination of joking and misunderstanding between husbands and children and us resulted in us (the little girls and I with Sue) getting together every Tuesday morning at her house. Heavenly.)
 
15. someone dancing
 
Elisabeth isn't actually dancing in this photo, because she stopped when I got the camera out, but E2 still is. This was at a wedding reception a few weeks ago. There wasn't any official dancing, but that didn't stop the little girls!
 
 
16. a bride
 
And obviously, since we were at a wedding (well, a marriage blessing, actually, as the actual wedding had taken place in England, but it was really the same thing), it wasn't difficult to get a picture of a bride! I didn't actually know either of the bridal pair, although I knew the mother of the groom, but Marie, Jacob, and Lukas all knew the groom, and Marie also knew the bride, so I took the three of them and Elisabeth to the wedding and reception.
 

 


17. a church, chapel, cathedral, mosque, or temple

I did consider just posting a few photos of various friends and family, representing the temple of the Holy Spirit, but didn't want to leave anyone out, so here are some more traditional representations.

This is the Hala Sultan Tekke mosque on the opposite side of the Salt Lake from where we live, a little less than an hour's walk away.

And here is the church of St. Lazarus, about a 20-minute walk in the opposite direction. The Lazarus whom Jesus raised from the dead is said to have come to Cyprus, and when he died the second time and stayed dead, he was buried here.

20. a swing hanging from a tree (or a hammock)

Lukas hung this swing from our giant fig tree some months ago and I just happened to take this photo of Helen on it a few days ago, again, not remembering this scavenger hunt at all. In December 2010 I found the hammock that I bought in Mexico in 1990 in a box in my parents' house and did bring it to Cyprus with me, but still haven't gotten around to hanging it up, so no photo.
Incidentally, and sadly, as of this morning we no longer have the chickens that are visible in the background. Although we'd been told by friends that it was fine to have chickens in the city, someone apparently complained, and we received notice in July that we would have to get rid of them. Jacob fought hard for them, including writing a letter to the mayor, who tried to find a loophole for us. Last week we were told that he wasn't able to grant us an exception and that we had one month to get rid of them. Last night friends who live in the mountains had to come down to Larnaka to go to the airport, so they took the chickens back with them when they left this morning. They'll have a good life there, being even more free-range than we could provide, but we already miss them!

And those are all of the photos I have so far, covering 16 of the 21 subjects, and the only photos I took intentionally for this were those of the trains! Now to see if I can take photos of the last five subjects before summer ends...


No comments:

Post a Comment